Monday 30 June 2014

Day 11: Left Denver for Mount Evans. It is the highest paved route in North America. It was a very narrow road up and took you up to an elevation of 14, 240 feet! When I got up to the top the first thing I did was proceed to the wash room were mountain goats occupied the building. It was nice talking to some people at the summit and then proceeded back down. It was 7 degrees Celsius at the peak and went back down to 30 degree weather. From there I headed on the I-70 west towards Aspen, taking routes 91 24 and then to 82. I was about 10 miles outside of Aspen when I put in my hotel address.....it was not in Aspen but in Crested Butte on the OTHER side of Mt. Baldy. After another 3.5 hours of driving having not one not two not three but FOUR deer cross out in front of the road I arrived quite cold at the Crested Butte Mountain resort and spa. I found a great price for it but it was way out of the way. Still was very nice and poshy.

I went into town on a free bus and stopped into Kochevar's for a beer. Eventually taking a 5 dollar bus back up the mountain to the resort, for the most part. It was a really long day but glad I made it to the right place. In the future I'll better plan my driving time as it was 9 hours and 387 miles in total.

Total: 3366 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment