Friday 27 June 2014

Day 8: I had been driving enough over the past few days to have worked up a decent buffer of time, to take a few days off. I just had the bike serviced in Lincoln and started to look at my options, ending up choosing South Dakota and the Badlands park area. It was a long drive up, but well worth it. I got to drive through the park and just as I was finishing it I saw storm clouds coming and decided to head to Rapid City for the night.

The drive north through Nebraska was great, saw a lot of small towns and followed the rail system through the state, which had several trains pass me as I was parallel to them on the road. 83 north was a very rough road to take, probably wouldn't recommend it to those on a long tour as I could feel it in my back for a few hours after getting off of it.


Then the storm. It was probably the single most scariest 2 hours of my life with high winds rain and no where to find shelter, I stayed on the interstate about 50mi/hour and ended up finally getting in soaking wet and hitting the bed and sleeping. It was not a pleasant ride and my nerves were a bit shot after the drive. Overall still really happy I made it up here and was able to visit and explore a new state with my extra time!

83 north
I90 west

6:35 riding
416 miles

Total: 2580 mi

















Off to Denver for Day 9!

No comments:

Post a Comment