Friday 24 July 2015

Day 4: Warrenpoint -> Belfast -> Bushmills -> Londonderry -> Donegal -> Sligo

Day 4 was definitely the longest and hardest, yet visually the best day I had. I quietly left early in the morning from Warrenpoint to Belfast, there, I stopped from a bit of rain to have breakfast, it was McDonalds, don't judge me, they have free WiFi, but I quickly drove through knowing I had to get to the northern point to see Giants Causeway.
When I arrived at Bushmills it had a very strong United Kingdom presence with flags hung everywhere. I drove through the beautiful town and down into the Giants Causeway centre. From there I spoke to a few of the workers and they advised of the best route to walk up and down. The sights were AMAZING. The weather was fantastic, it was tough walking up all the hills and stairs but well worth it, I spent nearly 3 hours here in awe of the beauty. 
I then proceeded to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, that was suspended between two rocks, this was also about a half hour hike down (and very tough to get back up) but again, well worth it. I spoke to a family from Boston while waiting in line they were intrigued by the gopro gear and asked about the fundraiser. 
When my hiking appetite was full I jumped back onto the bike and went down the CAUSEWAY COSTAL ROUTE, this was a wonderful route of coastline and castles, it was really amazing all the views, with the compressed roads it was difficult to pull over and take shots, but if you are ever there take this route, you won't be dissapointed. 
From Londonderry I went to Donegal, looked at some of their wool products and tried to find accomodation, Bundoran: no, Mullaghmore: no, Cliffony: no, Grange and Drumcliff: no and no, finally finding accomodation at an old converted hospital into hotel in Sligo. It was a very fun night as there were lots of bachelor and bachelorette parties going on, I quietly sat in the lobby eating domino's and worked on my photos and my routes while people would come up and ask for my pizza or ask if I was the one from "Canadia" (This happened a lot, or for me to say 'out and about'). It was a really fun night and causally met a lot of local people who all were very pleasant. 
I called it a night, after all the hiking and biking I wanted to be fresh to head to Cong/Galway the next day to see Dana Rae and friends!

Km: 430

No comments:

Post a Comment