Sunday 26 July 2015

Day 6: Cong -> Doolin -> Cliffs of Moher -> Ennis

Waking up Sunday was a little rough, but Kayla and I went to the Falconry School on the Ashford Castle grounds to take out Harris Hawks for a walk through the woods, this was so much fun, Chico was my bird and he would come and go searching for food (and mushrooms) thank you again to Dana and Kayla for allowing me to do this it was a blast! We then took a tour of the castle and got to see some of the rooms and accommodations (some rooms are a few thousand euro a night!) there was a wall of fame where presidents and actors like Regan and Brad Pitt had visited, pretty cool.
It was a very very rainy day, but that couldn't be a deterent, with the Helly Hansen suit it was easy to gear up and stay dry, it was more so the wind that became the challenge in driving. I reached the Cliffs, and seemed to be the only one trying to take in the view, along with the O'Brien's Tower. There wasn't much to see due to the fog and rain (I was warned of this) and after grabbing a coffee and sandwich headed back out toward Ennis to break for the night, I was cold tired and wanted to get right to sleep.I will mention here, it is funny to walk into a hotel dressed as "an angry looking pylon" (someone said this during my travels) it turns a lot of heads and a lot of people stare when you lug in all your gear in a bright orange suit and a full beard, you get nods, stares, questioning looks but by now I was getting used to it. Being on the road you loose a sense of shame and get used to people looking at you funny when you have a gopro stuck to your helmet or are driving in a rainstorm. I stayed the night at a hotel and grabbed some Chinese food while I had a fan blow drying some of my gear. I knew I had a big day ahead of me in the Ring of Kerry and was hoping for better weather. 



Total kms: 175 (these don't seem like much but travelling at low speeds it's astonishing how little ground you cover in a day, and also the need to stop and take in the sights!)

No comments:

Post a Comment